Complaint Process

Process for Filing a Formal Complaint

Complaints will be considered if filed within thirty days of the conclusion of the semester in which the event occurred.

An individual who wishes to complain about a college policy, procedure, or employee’s action may complete a complaint form or may submit a letter or e-mail containing the pertinent information:

1. Name of the complainant

2. Contact information including the complainant’s address, phone number, and e-mail address

3. The date of the event leading to the complaint

4. The location of the event leading to the complaint

5.  The title of the policy or process, or employee named in the complaint.

6.  A description of the complaint

7. A description of what steps the complainant has taken to resolve the complaint.

8.  The proposed resolution for the complaint

Completed forms may be returned to, or to the office of the president or any vice president.  Once received, the complaint will be directed to the appropriate administrator for review and response.  In the event that an appeal procedure exists for an area of complaint, the complaint received will be forwarded as an appeal to the appropriate area, and the complainant will be informed of this action.  For example, if a complaint is received about a course grade, the complaint will be forwarded as an appeal under the Appeal Course Grades Policy.

If resolution is not reached, individuals may address their concerns with the Board of Trustees within 1 year of last date of attendance at Hutchinson Community College:

To file a complaint, send a written complaint to:

Hutchinson Community College Board of Trustees
C/O Julie Blanton-Secretary of the Board
1300 N Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501

The written complaint should include the following information:

1.     Name, current physical mailing address, phone number of complainant

2.     Email address

3.     Dates of individual’s enrollment

4.     Details of individual’s complaint

5.     Expected outcome

A representative of the Board will reply to the individual within 10 business days to acknowledge the complaint was received, and whether it requires any additional information.  The Board representative will identify a tentative plan for investigating and resolving the complaint, and will update the individual if it takes longer than originally planned.  The Board representative will send a written response to the individual, usually within 45 days of receipt of the complaint, explaining the investigation and the resolution.

Other Complaint Processes:

If individuals have consumer protection and/or fraud complaints, they may be filed with the Kanas Attorney General’s Office:

Consumer Protection Hotline: 1-800-432-2310 (785) 296-3751
  Fax: (785) 291-3699

Discrimination complaints may be filed with the Kansas Human Rights Commission:

Complaints regarding State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) course delivered by SARA member community colleges may be filed by students enrolled in these courses with the Kansas Board of Regents office.

Kansas community colleges are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).  Complaints regarding an institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation may be filed by following the guidelines at