Transfer and Articulation Agreement - KS Public Community Colleges / State Universities

Kansas Public Community Colleges and State Universities

Hutchinson Community College, along with public institutions of higher education in the State of Kansas, has accepted a transfer agreement.

A student who completes an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree based on a baccalaureate-oriented sequence at a state and regionally accredited Kansas public community college, and whose program of studies has met the requirements of the Kansas Public Community College-Kansas Regents Transfer and Articulation Guide, will be accepted with junior standing and will have satisfied the general education requirements of all Regents universities. Students transferring to Regents institutions who have not completed an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree will be given general education credit for any articulated general education course completed at a community college.

Points of Clarification

The following information applies to freshmen entering after the fall of 1989:

  1. This agreement applies only to associate degree transfers from state and regionally accredited public community colleges in Kansas. The agreement does not include transfers from non-accredited community colleges or any other colleges.
  2. Transfer students accepted for admission at Kansas Regents universities with the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree will automatically be given junior standing with the understanding of the following:
    1. Each receiving institution has the right to determine admission standards to various majors in their institutions.
    2. Transfer students are subject to the same institutional assessment policies and procedures as resident students of the receiving institution.
  3. General education is defined as follows:

    General education provides students with facility in the use of the English language and a broad intellectual experience in the major fields of knowledge. It ensures that each graduate will have experienced some content, method and system of values of various disciplines which enable humanity to understand itself and its environment at a level of abstraction beyond secondary school studies.

    Although the following distribution of courses does not correspond to the General Education requirements at any Kansas Regents' institution, it will be accepted as having satisfied the general education requirements of all Kansas Regents universities:

    A minimum of 45 credit hours of general education with distribution in the following fields will be required. General education hours totaling less than 45 will be accepted, but transfer students must complete the remainder of this requirement before graduation from the receiving institution, which may require an additional semester(s).

    12 hours of Basic Skills courses, including:

    12 hours of Humanities courses from at least three of the following disciplines:

    * Studio and Performance courses are excluded.

    12 hours of Social and Behavioral Science courses from at least three of the following disciplines:

    9 hours of Natural and Physical Science courses from at least two disciplines (lecture with lab).

    Transcripts of students fulfilling the requirements of this agreement will be appropriately coded by the sending institution.

    • 6 hours of English Composition
    • 3 hours of Speech Communication
    • 3 hours of college level mathematics (Statistics will be required of transfer students where university curriculum requires it)
    • Art*
    • Theatre*
    • Philosophy
    • Music
    • History
    • Literature
    • Modern Language
    • Sociology
    • Psychology
    • Political Science
    • Economics
    • Geography
    • Anthropology
  4. Other associate degrees and certificates may be awarded for programs which have requirements different from baccalaureate-oriented sequences or a primary objective other than transfer. Students in such programs wishing to transfer to Kansas Regents' universities are to be considered outside of the terms of this agreement.

    Students attempting to transfer into the technology, engineering and architecture programs are considered outside this agreement. It is recommended that 2 + 2 and 2 + 3 arrangements be developed for the above programs of study.

    Acceptance of course credit for transfer from such programs will be determined by the receiving institution on the basis of application of the courses to the baccalaureate program in the major field of the student. Credit for equivalent technical courses may be granted by departmental examination.

  5. Each institution will define its own graduation requirements.
  6. A transfer student may be required to take freshman or sophomore courses to meet particular requirements or course prerequisites of a given major or minor.
  7. Transfer students preparing for teacher certification must meet the general education requirements as outlined by the State Board of Education. Teacher certification requirements have been incorporated into the degree requirements of Kansas Regents' universities.
  8. The spirit of the agreement indicates that transfer students are to be judged academically in the same way as non-transfer students.

Resident Tuition Classification
Hutchinson Community College residency status is determined upon admission to Hutchinson Community College. Students are classified as Reno County, Kansas Residents; Out of District, Kansas Residents; Non-Kansas Residents or International Student status.
To change residency status, a person must petition the HutchCC Registrar and supply documentation as detailed on the “Affidavit of Residency.”